This course is closed for enrollments, submit the form to get notified early next time this course runs.
Thank you for your interest, you will be notified next time this course runs.
Oops, something went wrong:
In the this workshop, I’ll be sharing my experience on rigging characters for video games.
We will first focus on an orc character modeled and ready for us to start with, and we take it from there by rigging it in Maya and use it in an Unreal Engine’s game template. During this 8-10 weeks course, we will touch upon topics such as: Rigging, Scripting, Skinning, Physics, Cloth Simulation and Unreal Engine. You will learn how to rig your character in Maya, use Python scripting to automate repetitive parts of your setup, quick skinning techniques and tricks, adding real time physics and simulation to the dynamic parts of your character, and eventually replacing it with an unreal engine’s game template so you can play the game and test it out for yourself.
• What is Rigging?
• Unreal Engine
• Rigs, Memory and Asset Budget
• Feature Film Rigs vs Game Rigs
• Topology and LODs
• Rigging Terminology in Practice
• Constraints in Maya
• Naming Convention
• Rig Referencing
• Python Scripting
• Rigging Body
• Neck and Head
• Helper Joints
• Corrective Shapes
• Introduction to Python
• Creating functions
• Creating a Library of Functions
• Scripting IK/FK Blend
• Rigging Legs
• Use Rigging Python Library
• Rigging Feet
• Introduction to Skinning
• Skinning The Body and Arms
• Skinning Techniques and Tricks
• Skinning Limitation for Games
• Unreal Engine Crash Course
• What is Blueprint ?
• Creating a Third Person Shooter Game Template
• Overview Over the Game Setup
• Exporting The Rig From Maya to UE
• Introduction to Cloth Sim for Games
• Cloth Setup for Lower LODS
• Rigging Cloth for Higher LODS
• Simulating The Character Cloth in Unreal Engine
• Physics Objects in Unreal Engine
• Setup Dynamics Pieces
• What is a Ragdoll?
• Setting Up Ragdoll in UE
• Adjusting Ragdoll Properties
• Final Sanity Check
• Replace Our Character in the UE Template
• Play the Game
A basic understanding of rigging and scripting will help you follow along smoothly and build upon the basic building blocks of rigging mechanics