developers of leading render engine Redshift has today announced its integration with the
procedural animation tool Houdini, created by SideFX Software Inc.
Redshift is a powerful, biased GPU-accelerated renderer that seamlessly integrates with
industry-standard content creation tools including Autodesk Maya, Autodesk Softimage and
Autodesk 3ds Max, with both MAXON Cinema 4D and The Foundry’s KATANA integrations in
It’s the fastest growing new rendering product on the market today and is currently used by
creative studios such as Nickelodeon Animation Studios, Blizzard Entertainment, Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, Glassworks, Blue Zoo and many more.
Houdini is a powerful all-in-one 3D application combining modeling, animation, rigging,
compositing and more. It’s used by a wide range of CG artists around the globe in industries
such as film, TV, games, advertising and beyond.
The brand new Houdini plugin puts Redshift’s industry-leading GPU-accelerated rendering
performance into the hands of Houdini users the world over. Features of the Redshift for
Houdini integration include support for hair and fur, instancing particles, strands, volumes
and Non-GUI tools, and all-round optimized performance.
Cristin Barghiel, CTO at Side FX comments: “Projects created in Houdini can range from the deceptively simple to incredibly complex. Having this new integration with Redshift will be a huge benefit to a whole range of Houdini users as Redshift produces super fast renders,
subsequently enabling shorter iterations. Having already seen some really fantastic work
produced in Houdini and rendered with Redshift during the Alpha testing phase, it is our hope
now that this official integration will work to empower even more Houdini users to create work in new and interesting ways.”
Key Houdini integration features
- Hair and Fur – Support of the Houdini curve primitives, that are extracted as RS hair objects.
- Houdini primitives – Automatic and configurable tessellation of the Houdini primitive surfaces (primitives, nurbs, etc.)
- Instancing/particles – Support of the Houdini instancing, including the Instance OBJ node, and the "instance" and "instancepath" attributes, extracted as RS Instances or RS Point Clouds
- User Data Attributes – Support for arbitrary user data attributes per object or instance, enabling shading variation without requiring different materia
- Strands – Render of any kind of Houdini primitive as RS strands
- Volumes – Direct rendering of OpenVDB files and the Houdini Volume and VDB primitives. Support of volume instancing and velocity grids
- Non-GUI tools – The plugin is compatible with all the Houdini non-GUI tools (hython, hscript, etc.) and includes a set of custom HScript commands to control the renderer
Panos Zompolas, Co-founder & CTO at Redshift comments: “Our aim is to give as many
artists as possible the opportunity to benefit from the power of GPU rendering. That’s why, after a thorough development process, we’re delighted to launch Redshift for SideFX Houdini.
Redshift can now stand as the rendering backbone to the incredible procedural animation
Redshift can be downloaded from their website www.redshift3d.com. Licensing starts from $500 for a node-locked license with 1 year of maintenance.