Thu 16th Jan 2003 | News
The 3D Awards Committee is proud to announce the International 3D Awards 2003, to be held on 9 May 2003 at 3D Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark. The 3D Awards is an industry-wide set of awards recognizing excellence in the field of 3D design, animation and digital visual effects. The 3D Awards is unique as it covers all aspects of 3D creativity – from high-end digital effects in film and television to independent animations and student short films. The 3D Awards Committee is also proud to announce the launch of the 3D Awards website at www.3dawards.org.
The field of 3D art is relatively new, having only gained widespread acceptance in the last five years. There currently lacks an industry-wide set of awards recognizing excellence in 3D creativity and artistry. The industry has a need for a global set of awards covering the high-end animation and digital effects, to the independent artists and students. This need was recognized by the 3D Awards Committee, who are working together to create this industry accolade.
The Digital Hero Trophy
The Digital Hero is the 3D Awards trophy hand crafted by Dan Platt in Los Angeles. The Digital Hero is the most coveted accolade in the 3D industry and community worldwide. To have one awarded is a symbol of pride, honour and achievement - a lifetime goal for many 3D artists worldwide.
Entry and Categories
The 3D Awards contains a variety of fields such as interactive 3D gaming to feature film animation, digital effects, independent and student animations. This industry-wide set of awards allows every cornerstone of the industry to participate in the 3D Awards.
Categories for the 3D Awards 2003:
· Feature Film Visual Effects
· Television Visual Effects
· Music Videos
· Short Films
· Logos and Idents
· Independent Animations
· Game Visual Arts
· Game Cinematics (non-interactive)
· Technological Innovation
· Industrial Design
· Architectural Visualization (Animation)
· Architectural Visualization (Still)
· Student 3D Animation
· 3D Art (still)
The 3D Awards is to be held annually at 3D Festival, the world’s largest creative 3D event in Copenhagen, Denmark. The 3D Festival is a celebration of 3D creativity, held over a four day period and comprising of three conferences: 3D Festival Conference for high end 3D animation and digital effects, Game Developers World for creative game production and the Architectural Visualization Conference, the only one of its kind in the world.
Although held in Scandinavia, the 3D Awards is an independent, global event and will have worldwide coverage online on the 3D Festival website (www.3dfestival.com) and through CGTalk (www.cgtalk.com), the leading industry community for computer graphic artists.
Who is Organizing It?
The 3D Awards is presented by the 3D Awards Committee, comprising of luminaries and professionals in the 3D, Digital Visual Effects, Gaming and Architectural Visualization industries. The Committee is in charge of all organization and judging for the event.
3D Awards Committee (current as of release date)
· Eric Armstrong, Animation Director, Sony Pictures Imageworks, USA
· Markus Manninen, Joint Head of 3D Commercials, Framestore CFC, UK
· Mike Milne, Director of Computer Animation, Framestore CFC, UK
· Alex Morris, Head of CG, Hayes Davidson, UK
· Shelley Page, Animation European Representative, DreamWorks, UK
· Alex Alvarez, Founder and Director, Gnomon School of VFX, USA
· Jason Schleifer, Senior Animator, Weta Digital, New Zealand
· Tommy Strand, CTO, Funcom, Norway
· Knut Ramstad, Director of 3D and VR Production, Telenor Expo, Norway
· Jimmy Hassel, Founder, 3D Festival, Sweden
· Dan Platt, CEO, Solid Image Arts, LLC, USA
· Leonard Teo, Managing Director, CGNetworks, Australia
· Victor Navone, Lead Animator, Pixar Animation Studios, USA
· Herman Bailey, Industrial Designer, Christian Bjørn Design, Denmark
· Dr. Mark Snoswell, Director, Snoswell Design, Australia